News / Match Reports

posted 11 Sept 2012, 07:40 by Unknown user   [ updated 25 Nov 2017, 15:46 by Shane Malone ]


 2017 News / Match Reports

Raheens 400 Club Xmas Draw
Second Early Bird Draw Winner of €250:
Ticket no. 334 - Eamon Kavanagh

Main Draw takes place 16th December 2017

Sunday, 12th November 2017: Well done to our under 12 B team that won their Division 3 Shield Final on Friday night with a 3-6 to 2-5 win over Blessington.

Raheens 400 Club Xmas Draw
First Early Bird Draw Winner of €250:
Ticket no. 094 - Colm Molloy & Mick Judge

Second Early Bird Draw takes place 25th November 2017

County Final Video

Kildare Intermediate Football Championship Final 2017 - Raheens v Kilcock

Full match video available to purchase on a 16GB memory stick for only €10
(compatable with smart TVs, Laptops, etc).

Orders to Shane on 087-2334798.

10/10/2017 - THANK YOU!!!

The Club would like to send out a massive thank you to everyone who has supported the Club on our Championship campaign to date and for making the last couple of days celebrations so memorable. Hopefully we'll give you some more great days out before the journey ends.

However, we'd like to acknowledge a number of people in particular. Firstly the people who made financial contributions to the Club to assist us with the preparations for the final. Thank you to Actavo (T. J. Malone), Cooke's of Caragh, Shane Rafferty, Fran & Ollie Campbell, Rebecca Roker, Shane Malone, Sean Power, Joe Murphy, Seanie Taaffe, Tony Lawler, Liam Lynch, Mick Murphy, Ian Lawler, Kieran Kinahan (Mercedes) & Vincent Malone Jnr.

Secondly we'd like to thank the committee that organised the flags/bunting for the village. Thank you to Shane Rafferty, Seanie Taaffe, Jack Taaffe, Bobby Taaffe, John Murphy, Billy Murphy, Tony Lawler, Ian Lawler, Francis Campbell, John O'Toole, Alan Kavanagh, Niall Sharpe, Alan Sharpe, Glen McLoughlin, John Gallagher, Eamonn Magner & Kevin Thompson.

Finally, we'd also like to thank Jordan's Centra for the 200 goodie bags that they provided for the kids taking part in our blitz on Saturday in the build up to the County Final on Sunday.

Tuairisc: Cill Dara V An Mhí

Thug an bua a bhí ag Cill Dara in aghaidh Laois i gCraobh Laighean cúpla seachtain ó shin misneach d’fhoireann Cian O’Neill. Bhí sé mar sprioc ag O’Neill i mbliana cluiche ceannais Laighean a bhaint amach agus le Cathal McNally ó Johnstownbridge ag dul ar bhabhta mór scórála i bPáirc Uí Chonchúir, Tulach Mhór bhí an lámh in uachtar go luath ag Cill Dara agus beidh siad in a chéad Craobh Laighean ó 2009.

Kildare’s win over Laois in the Leinster Championship two weeks ago couraged Cian O’Neill’s team. It was a target of O’Neill’s to get to the Leinster finals this year and with Cathal McNally from Johnstownbridge going on a scoring spree in O’Connor Park, Tullamore, Kildare had an early upper hand and they will be in their first Leinster finals since 2009.

Bhí Cill Dara chun tosaigh 1-10 go 0-4 ag leath am agus tosc go bhfuair an Mhí ceithre cúilín i ndiaidh a chéile ag tús an dara leath níor tháinig líonrith orthu agus d’imigh Cill Dara níos faide chun tosaigh le cúilíní ó Feely and Flynn.

Kildare were ahead 1-10 to 0-4 at half time and although Meath got 4 points in a row at the start of the 2nd half, Kildare didn’t panic and went further ahead with points from Feely and Flynn.

Thainig Eamonn Callaghan ó Nás na Ríogh mar imreoir ionaid agus fuair sé cúilín. Ag an 68ú nóiméid fuair Daniel Flynn cúl iontach chun 1 – 04 a fháil san iomlán.

Eamonn Callaghan from Naas came on as a substitute and scored a point. On the 68th minute Daniel Flynn scored a wonderful to score 1-04 in total.

An scór deireanach ná 2-16 to 0-13.

The final score was 2-16 to 0-13

Tuairisc: Cill Dara V Laois (Bilingual report)


Tháinig an lá mór i ndeireadh na dála. Cill Dara in aghaidh Laois i bPáirc Uí Chonchúir, Tulach Mhór ar an 4ú Meitheamh. Is séasúr de codarsnacht mhór ar an dá foireann a tá i gceist – Cill Dara ag dul go Roinn 1 agus Laois go Roinn 4.


The big day finally arrived. Kildare against Laois in O’Connor Park, Tullamore ón the 4th June. It has been a season of great contrast for the two teams this year – Kildare moving to Divison 1 and Laois to Division 4.

Ní raibh ach athrú amháin ar fhoireann Laoise ón gcoicís seo caite agus ón tús cluiche a ghluaiseann ar aghaidh go tapaidh a bhí againn. Ós comhair lucht féachana 7,477 daoine, scóráil Donie Kingston ó Laois cúl álainn ach níor tháinig aon scaoll ar Cill Dara. Tar éis sé noiméid bhí na foirne ar comhscór maidir le pointí ó Kevin Feely, Cathal McNally agus Mark Donnellan. Tar éis fiche nóiméid bhí an lámh in uachtar ag Cill Dara sa chluiche seo agus bhí fhios againn nach mbeadh Laois ábalta teacht ar ais.

Laois had only one change to the team from a fortnight ago and from the start we had a fast-paced game. In front of a crowd of 7,477 people, Donie Kingston from Laois scored a great goal but Kildare didn’t panic. After 6 minutes the teams were level thanks to points from  Kevin Feely, Cathal McNally and Mark Donnellan, After 20 minutes Kildare had the upper hand and we knew that there was nó way back for Laois.

In iomlán scóráil Daniel Flynn 1 – 03 chun dul go dtí an chéad babhta eile i bpáirc Uí Chonchúir Tulach Mhór ar an 17ú Meitheamh ag 7 i.n. in aghaidh an Mhí. Is cúis áthais 1 – 21 a scóráil in aon cluiche agus chuaigh an lucht féachana abhaile le meangadh mór millteach.

In total Daniel Flynn scored 1 – 03 to go into the next round against County Meath in O’Connor Park, Tullamore on the 17th June at 7pm., To score 1 -21 in any game is a reason to be happy and the spectators went home with a great big smile.

Three Great Draws ... Cut Price Entry Fee

Following the very successful limited 400 Club Christmas Draw last year where members got entry into both our Xmas Draw and also into last months National Club Draw for €100 the Club will again be holding the draw this year.

As an incentive to those that also buy €100 tickets from the Club for the Club Kildare 4 Month Draw (May, June, July and August) we are offering members entry into all these draws for the cut price of €150. That's six draws in total (the four monthly Club Kildare car draws, our own Xmas Draw with a top prize of €10,000, and the National Club Draw with foreign holidays, All-Ireland ticket packages, etc.), all for only €150.

This deal is only available until the first Club Kildare Draw next month (26th May) and members must pay the €150 in full by that date to avail of this great offer. To book your tickets in time contact any of our executive committee or message us on facebook.

25/03/2017 - SFL Division 1 - Celbridge 0-08 Raheens 0-08

The attendance of Kildare Senior Manager, Cian O'Neill, added extra spice to Raheens visit to league high flyers, Celbridge. His attendance seem to impact on players as the early exchanges were marred by poor passing, over elaborate handpassing and wayward shooting. The game eventually settled after a Thomas Dore point who received the pass from John Jennings after a great catch in midfield. David Malone would quickly add a second after a powerful run through the middle of the Celbridge defence. Celbridge responded by targeting Paddy Brophy who was fouled for their first point and he added a beauty from play quickly afterwards. However, after this early flurry Graham Waters got to grips with Brophy and had him in the back pocket for the rest of the game. Both sides exchanged 3 points each before the break with Rory Donnelly, Colm Power and David Malone scoring for Raheens. However, it was the torrential downpour that came before halftime that would have the greatest impact on this game.

The conditions in the second half were extremely difficult and meant maintaining possession was almost impossible which left both defences well on top. Celbridge went ahead with a point after 39 minutes and Colm Power would level 5 minutes later. A very questionable point by Celbridge in the 52nd minute put them in the driving seat but John Jennings would level matters again in the 55th minute. In fact, it looked like Raheens were going to take all the points when Colm Power fisted a point from close range in the 59th minute but Celbridge would level matters in injury time. Both sides will feel they could have won the the game after lots of missed opportunities but a draw was probably the fairest result on the night.

14/05/2017 - IFC Round 1 - Raheens 2-17  Castlemitchell 0-5

Raheens opened their championship campaign by brushing the challenge of Castlemitchell to one side with relative eased as they had plenty to spare in their facile 18-point victory on Sunday afternoon.

It was a game that always seemed to have a likely outcome when you look at it on paper; Raheens are competing well in Division 1 of the league while Castlemitchell's presence in Division 4 is far from ideal for a side looking to keep their head above water in the Intermediate Championship.

The favourites for the championship against the favourites for relegation -this game was well and truly over by half-time. Castlemtichell's fortunes were best summed up by the fact that their goalkeeper Michael Lawless, who was their top scorer, had to leave the field through injury midway through the second half.

Colm Power's excellent opening point in the first minute was followed up by a fisted point from Tom Earley, giving an indicator of what was to come, but a well structured k free from 50 metres out by Castlemitchell goalkeeper Michael Lawless gave the large crowd of supporters backing his side something to cheer.

Raheens delivered an early blow when they sauntered through for their first goal as Colm Power and John Jennings exchanged passes before the ball found its way to Liam Power who blasted home from close range. Rory Donnelly followed up to increase the gap to five points, and though Joe Maher launched over a long range free in response, that was the last time the south Kildare side would raise a white flag in the first half.

Raheens tagged on six points in a row, with Paddy Woodgate, recently called in to the Kildare senior panel, hitting half of those. David Malone, Donnelly and Liam Power all dissecting the posts before the interval as Raheens went into the break with an unassailable 1-9 to 0-2 lead.

Raheens never truly hit their stride in the second half, but they didn't really have to as they pretty much cruised for home in second gear.

Rory Donnelly and Paddy Woodgate continued to slot over points, but Raheens were quite wasteful at times as they struck 13 wides in total. Midfielder Rory Hannick, defender Jason Earley and corner-forward Colm Power were all on target in the second period, while substitute Alan Campbell plundered a second goal for the victors midway through the half after some fine work from Donnelly.

Castlemitchell's only score from play in the entire game arrived in the 47th minute when Brendan Maher split the posts from 40 metres out, while Conor Curtis and Lawless also added point from frees. Their day went from bad to worse when Lawless was forced off with an injury, meaning Kieran Harris had to switch from full-forward to goalkeeper, and they also had John Fennelly sent off late on after he received a second yellow.

Scorers for Raheens: R Donnelly 0-5(3f), P Woodgate 0-5(2f), L Power 1-1, A Campbell 1-0, C Power 0-2, J Earley, R Hannick, T Earley and D Malone 0-1 each.

Scorers for Castlemitchell: M Lawless 0-2f, C Curtis(1f), J Maher(1f) and B Maher 0-1 each.


D Campbell; T Earley, M Betts Symonds, S Crowley; J Earley, G Waters, T Dore; R Hannick(A Campbell BC 37mins), J Jennings; D Malone, D Fitzpatrick, P Woodgate; C Power, L Power, R Donnelly.


M Lawless(M Fanning 55mins); B Kavanagh, JP Horgan, K Ward(K Harris 37mins); F O'Rourke, B Maher, J Fennelly; T Griffin, C Curtis; D Ryan(T Hyland 57mins), K Harris, R Lovett(O Doyle 57mins); M Fennelly, J Horgan, J Maher.

25/03/2017 - SFL Division 1 - Naas 0-15 Raheens 1-12

20/03/2017 - Keogh Cup Final - Raheens 1-09  Monasterevin 1-11

Ryan Bannon's strike three minutes from time helped Monasterevin take the season's first bit of silverware on Sunday afternoon when they edged to a two-point win over Raheens in the Keogh Cup final. Both of these sides will have serious aspirations of making it to the latter stages of the Intermediate Championship this year, and Raheens were also aiming to defend their pre season title after winning this same competition last year.

The unrelenting rain began to come down about 30 minutes prior to throw-in, and though it cleared for about five minutes midway through the first half, it remained for most of the opening 30 minutes. That paved the way for an ultimately scrappy affair that was full of spilled balls and wayward foot passing as both teams struggled to get to grips with the conditions from the offset.

That probably had a factor in the opening score of the game - and the only goal of the first half - when Raheens' David Malone's long range shot was dropping some way short, but John Jennings followed the flight of the ball and palmed it to the back of Adam Forde's net. Monasterevin responded well to the initial setback as their chiefs marksman, Wayne Fitzpatrick, landed two scores from frees to settle them into the tie.

Monasterevin goalkeeper Adam Forde was a busy man during the opening quarter as he twice denied Raheens certain goals. His first intervention was to stop a low shot from Jennings, while he then parried a powerful effort from Paddy Woodgate a couple of minutes later to keep the opposition at bay. Woodgate expertly dispatched the resultant '45, but Padraig Nash responded well at the other end by knocking over a free.

John Jennings' first point of the afternoon in the 17th minute began a 10-minute spell where neither side managed to score as mistakes blotted the pattern of the tie, but a superb point from Monasterevin's Cormac Stapleton eventually had the umpire reaching for the white flag once more. Rory Donnelly replied with a tidy effort from a tight angle at the opposite end, and a score each from Woodgate and Fitzpatrick sent the sides in with Raheens leading 1-4 to 0-5 at the break.

The game really opened up in the second half as the weather conditions improved, and there was a real free-flowing element to proceedings for the next 30 minutes. Rory Donnelly kicked Raheens back into a three-point lead with a good strike from a free, but Monasterevin then enjoyed their best spell of the game as they reeled off four points in a row.

Fitzpatrick led the charge with a pointed free, before Stapleton and Nash both sent over their second scores of the day to level matters. A fine effort from the left wing courtesy of Fitzpatrick put the blues into the lead for the first time in the game with seven minutes gone in the second half, but it was Raheens who would get the next two scores of the game at a crucial time.

Both came from frees, with David Fitzpatrick and Rory Donnelly chipping over one apiece as the beaten 2015 Intermediate Championship finalists retook the lead. Monasterevin could have found the net as the game entered its final quarter when Nash picked out Fitzpatrick with a quite wonderful crossfield pass to send him through on goal, but Kildare U21 goalkeeper Declan Campbell fronted u and blocked his effort .

They did take the lead however, and this time they managed to hold onto it as Nash slotted over a free and Ryan Bannon landed a long range effort. Bannon then got on the end of a looping pass from Mark Kelly, and with Raheens' defenders over complicating matters, the wing-forward managed to toe-poke the ball to the back of Campbell's net.

Raheens poured forward in search of a late goal to give them some hope, but they met a staunch resistance from the Monasterevin defence and the best they could manage was a couple of pointed frees from Woodgate as the south Kildare club held on for the win.

Scorers for Raheens: J Jennings 1-1, P Woodgate 0-4(3f, 1'45), R Donnelly 0-3(2f), D Fitzpatrick 0-1f.

Scorers for Monasterevin: W Fitzpatrick 0-5(4f), R Bannon 1-1, P Nash 0-3(2f), C Stapleton 0-2.


D Campbell; S Crowley, J O'Brien, C Conlon(J Lawler 35mins); C Malone(C Power 58mins), G Waters(A Campbell 52mins), J Earley; R Hannick, D Fitzpatrick; D Malone, A Igoe(M Waters 48mins), J Jennings; P Woodgate, R Donnelly, L Power(T Dore 42mins).


A Forde(C McCabe ht); D Dunne, G Worrell, T Kennedy(K Dunne ht); P Kelly, J O'Toole, R Bannon; P Maloney, W Sharpe(S Kerins 57mins); M Kelly, R Heavey, C Stapleton; W Fitpatrick, C Dempsey(L Havens ht), P Nash.

15/03/2017 - Keogh Cup Semi Final - Raheens  Rathangan
Full report to follow

14/03/2017 - Senior Ladies Division 4 - Raheens 3-11 Robert Emmetts 3-10

This was a wonderful game of free flowing football with conditions perfect and Tom Lawler Park in immaculate condition. Robert Emmetts dominated the early exchanges through the excellent Nicole Gorey and she pointed on 3 minutes to give Emmetts an early lead. Gorey continued to cause problems for Raheens with her surging runs through the middle and on 8 minutes she found the top corner of the net with a wonderful goal. Raheens did come into the game and were guilty of some wayward shooting but did eventually find their range with an Ellen Murphy point. Shortly afterwards, Raheens corner forward Sarah Fitzsimons was awarded a penalty and Murphy calmly despatched it to the net.  Both teams exchanged points on 20 and 21 minutes with Nicole Gorey for Emmetts and Ciana O’Brien for Raheens and indeed Gorey again on 27 and 28 minutes, however, Raheens responded well with points from Emma Kielty and Ciana O’Brien to leave the sides level at half time at 1-04 each.

The second half was even better than the first as both teams began to find their range. Raheens had early chances but were unable to convert while Aoife Kiernan and Nicole Gorey (2) put Emmetts 3 points clear. Raheens had 2 great goal chances but Alannah Keegan kept them at bay and after the second attempt, Emmetts broke down the field and struck with a wonderfully taken goal from Niamh Hodson. More misery was to follow for Raheens as Aoife Kiernan had a point blank shot saved wonderfully by Meghan Campbell but Kiernan was clever and followed up to palm the ball into the net. The game looked over but the Raheens women are made of stern stuff and reeled off 4 points from Ciana O’Brien, Aoife Morrisson, Ellen Murphy and Sarah Fitzsimons. Robert Emmetts responded with points from Shauna Eaton and Niamh Hodson but a goal on 52 minutes from Lucy O’Brien after a goal mouth scramble gave Raheens some real belief. The goal was quickly followed by pointed frees from Aoife Morrisson and Ellen Murphy which left 2 points between the sides. A late Emmetts point on 58 minutes from Megan Callan seem to seal victory but Ciana O’Brien responded for Raheens  with a 59th minute point and with almost the last kick of the game from Sarah Fitzsimons, who launched a high hopeful ball with the hop deceiving the Robert Emmetts keeper to give them victory on the night. There was great celebrations afterwards as this was the first ever game for this team to win. Conratulations to all involved. 

25/02/2017 - Keogh Cup Round 2 - Clogherinkoe 0-09 Raheens 2-09
The underfoot conditions made it difficult for both teams to play flowing football but Clogherinkoe starting brightly with a clear tactic of isolating there corner forward, Cian McMonagle, who was equally adept on both left and right and he had put the Cloghs ahead by 3 points with some wonderful scores. Meanwhile, Raheens were labouring in attack but Alan Campbell did knock over a point after 12 minutes. However, with McMonagle being fouled again and scoring the resulting free, Matthew Bethsimons was given the task of marking him. It was the move that changed the game. Bethsimons cut off the supply to McMonagle and as a result the Clogherinkoe attack ground to a halt. This allowed Raheens to become more attacking and great work from the diamond of Graham Waters, Rory Hannick, David Fitzpatrick & John Jennings created a great platform for the Raheens forwards especially Alan Campbell. "Meatballs" pointed after 18 minutes and then fisted to the net after a long ball was sent in by David Fitzpatrick. Raheens were playing great football at this stage with slick passing and incisive runs, they forced a penalty after a foot block on ? Luckily, David Malone had been practising penalties all week and he calmly dispatched the ball to the corner of the net. Raheens finished strongly with points from Alan Igoe, Campbell & Hannick with a solitary response from Dean Hanley leaving the half time score Clogherinkoe 0-05 Raheens 2-05.

The second half didn't produce the same quality as the first primarily because the pitch had deteriorated that the game a dour affair with Clogherinkoe getting frustrated, leading to tempers becoming frayed. Raheens were the better of the 2 sides and continued piercing runs through the middle but a combination of good Clogherinkoe defence and poor final passes kept them at bay. The Clogherinkoe attack got moving again when Bethsimons had to retire due to injury and this brought McMonagle into the game again. He had to be marked by 2 Raheens defenders which left Keith Wilkie free and he won an lot of possession but was unable to capitalise but he did win 2 frees which McMonagle put over on 12 and 15 minutes. Alan Campbell replied for Raheens with 2 frees and on 22 minutes Liam Power made a surging to score a lovely point but he would soon follow his brother Colm to the line as a result of black cards for scuffling as frustration got better of both sides. Thomas Dore pointed late to give Raheens a 2-09 to 0-09 victory. It was a great day for Alan Campbell who bagged 1-05 and has given Raheens management another real forward threat for the season ahead. However, they will also have noted McMonagle who scored 7 points and will be a force to be reckoned with if we meet Clogherinkoe in the Championship.

18/02/2017 - Keogh Cup Round 1 - Raheens 1-11 St Kevins 0-11
This game had all the hallmarks of the first game of the season with poor conditions adding to numerous handling and passing errors, however, it did turn out to be an exciting affair if it did lack quality. Raheens started brightly was Graham Waters pointing in the first minute but Kevins would dominate proceedings for the next 15 minutes. Robert Beirne opened their account followed by a brace of points from Barry Noone who caused untold problems for the Raheens defence. The game was turned on its head, when very much against the run of play, Raheens centre forward Rory Donnelly picked out Thomas Dore with a sublime pass and Dore buried it to put Raheens into a lead they would not surrender. Kevins responded with a point from Noone but Raheens finished the half with points from David Malone and Donnelly leaving it Raheens 1-03 St Kevins 0-04 at the interval.

The standard of football improved greatly in the second half as passes started to stick and forwards found their range. Raheens opened with 3 points in the first 10 minutes from Liam & Collie Power and Donnelly but Kevins kept in touch with points from Mark Grace and Damien Reilly. Both teams traded 5 points up to full time with Barry Noone (man of the match) getting 4 of those and a wonder point from the sideline by Dean Regan. Raheens scorers were Malone, David Fitzpatrick, Donnelly, Liam Power and Mark Waters. Final score Raheens 1-11 St Kevins 0-11.

Deccie O'Toole and his management team will be happy with the victory as they "blooded" a number of young players and experimented with a number of positions, however, a much stiffer test awaits in Clogherinkoe next Saturday.

Sinead Early O'Brien,
17 Feb 2017, 03:30
Sinead Early O'Brien,
17 Feb 2017, 03:35